Welcome to the Lawrence Transit Study!
The Lawrence Transit System, in partnership with KU on Wheels, is conducting a comprehensive analysis of bus service in Lawrence. This study will take a detailed look at the city’s existing bus services and will provide recommendations for improving service to meet the needs of both city residents and university students.
The Lawrence Transit Study’s goals include:
- Make sure Lawrence Transit and KU on Wheels’ services meet and support growing community needs.
- Make the bus an attractive option for more people in our community. Study recommendations will include finding ways to increase bus ridership.
- Ensure Lawrence Transit and KU on Wheels’ services continue to operate in the most cost effective and efficient way possible.
The Lawrence Transit Study started in April 2016 and is anticipated to be completed by the end of 2016. Throughout the spring, summer, and fall of 2016, the study project team will be working to:
- Examine how people travel in Lawrence, so we understand where buses need to go. This analysis will also look at the demographic and socio-economic characteristics of the city and the university to understand where bus service is needed and where it will most likely be successful.
- Collect ideas, comments and thoughts from stakeholders, members of the general public and people who use Lawrence Transit and KU on Wheels. We will be holding focus groups, conducting interviews, and scheduling community meetings.
- Conduct a detailed analysis of each Lawrence Transit and KU on Wheels bus route. This analysis will be data-driven and will examine the number of riders on every route, at every stop, and at different times of days. This is a key part of how we will determine if changes are needed. Check back here to read about the routes you ride and let us know what you think!
- Update Lawrence Transit’s service guidelines, or general rules for how services should be organized and designed, and how hours of service and frequency should be determined.
- Create a series of service improvement scenarios that offer options for how the system might be improved.
Your ideas and comments are a key component to the successful completion of this project. Check back regularly for the latest updates and announcements. If you would like to receive project updates or notices of upcoming events by e-mail, just click on the Stay Informed page and enter your name and e-mail address in the box provided.